For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Granadilla / Passion Fruit

We have two kinds of granadilla (passionfruit) species here. One is an orange/yellow thick skin variety which grows wild in our tropical climates and the other is cultivated for everyday use, is purple and has a thinner skin.

It is used in many ways, as an addition to cakes and icing, a flavoring in ice cream, yoghurt and soft drinks or fresh over fruit salad.
If conditions are right, flowering may occur throughout the year. Individual flowers bloom for just 12-24 hours before closing. They will self-pollinate and are followed by green fruit, turning purple when ripe. Fruits usually ripen within 80 days of flowering. They grow on vines which love full sun except in climates where the temperature frequently surpasses 100F, then should be given shade. Plants are short-lived, usually maintaining good productivity for 4-6 years. Harvest fruits when they fall from the plant and are best eaten when wrinkles appear on the surface. When propagated from seed or cuttings, they will flower within their first year.
The information below is from http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/herbal-supplements/passion-flower.php

Medicinal uses and health benefits of the passion flower
Passion flower has a long history of use among Native Americans. Today, passion flower is mainly used in the United States and Europe to relieve anxiety, restlessness, and insomnia. It is also recommended for the relief of nausea caused by nervousness or anxiety. It works by slowing the pulse, decreasing arterial tension, and quieting respiration and pulmonary blood pressure. Passion flower is anxiolytic and analgesic. It decreases motor activity that can contribute to stress-related myospasms. Passionflower has been used traditionally for menstrual pain, diarrhoea and dysentery. An extract containing passionflower and hawthorn has been studied in people with congestive heart failure for the treatment of shortness of breath and difficulty exercising. When combined with hawthorn berries, passionflower is effective in reducing stress-related digestive spasms such as gastritis and colitis. Fruit juice as an eyewash for sore eyes. A tincture or infusion from dried leaves is an insomnia remedy. Homeopathic practitioners prescribe it for asthma and whooping cough. Applied externally, it has been used for hemorrhoids. Passionflower may also relieve anxiety in people who are recovering from heroin addiction.
Dosage and administration
Passion flower preparations are made from fresh or dried flowers and other above-ground parts of the plant. Recommended dosages of passion flower generally range from 4-8 g of dried herb per day. To make tea, pour 150 ml (about two-thirds of a cup) of hot water over 1 teaspoonful of passion flower, steep for 10 minutes, then strain. Two or three cups of tea a day. Alternatively, 5-10 ml (1:8) of passion flower tincture can be taken three to four times per day.
Side effects, precautions
In general, passionflower is considered to be safe and nontoxic. Possible side effects include nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, and rapid heartbeat. Pregnant women should not take passion flower, because passionflower contains substances that can stimulate contractions of the uterus. Passion flower may increase the effects of drugs and herbals that promote sleepiness. It may also enhance the blood-thinning effects of anticoagulant and antiplatelet agents.
Granadilla Fridge Tart
Ingredients
1 tin Carnation Milk (unsweetened)
1 pack Lemon Jelly
½ cup Icing Sugar
1 tin (110g) Granadilla Pulp
1 pack Nice or Tennis Biscuits

Method
Freeze tin of Carnation Milk.Dissolve jelly in 1 cup boiling water.Line pie dish with biscuits.When jelly begins to set, beat slightly defrosted milk with icing sugar very stiffly.Add granadilla and nearly set jelly, and beat well.Put 1/2 mixture on base, add another layer biscuits, then the rest of the mixture.Set in fridge overnight.

32 comments:

Diane said...

My mouth is watering, I looooove Granadilla. Think it is too cold here in winter for them to grow.

When we lived in Raffingora, Zim, we had masses of plants around all the fences. I had to be very careful though, the many boomslangs that were in that area thought they were planted for them to hide in!! If bitten the anti serum had to come from Jhb so care was very important. Have a good weekend. Diane

Jo said...

Mmmn Joan, that looks like a yummy fridge tart! We had granadilla growing around our garden fence when I was a child. I also had it in my home as a young woman while living in Zululand. But now I have to make do with the tinned pulp. It is a delicious fruit. Thanks for the colourful and tasty post.

Gaelyn said...

OMG, this sounds So Good! Why didn't we have any of this when I was there? I've certainly heard of passion fruit but never see it in our stores.
Seems like it's good for all kinds of ailments.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Joan: What an unusual fruit, I didn't know of all the problems.

Unknown said...

Passion Fruit flowers are amazing. They have adapted quite well here.

Tony nile life said...

I used to grow them in the conservatory at home in wales. had plenty of flowers but not many would ripen . the season was too short for them,
Some bugs to Id please Joan.
the sand bees are 3 species.

Tammie Lee said...

that fruit is enchanting as fruit gets! gorgeous as are the flowers, wish I could smell them!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

It is a tropical fruit Giane so I can understand them not growing there. You are going to have to build yourself a hothouse for plants like these. Granadilla, watermelon and sponspek are my three favourite fruits but I could easily live on just fruit alone.

In Potch wgere I grew up we used to have many Rinkhals coming into the house, especiallt at this time of year when it started to get cold.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

It is a yummy one Jo. At one time I had a recipe blog that had the most wonderful tarts and things on but I closed it last year. I think you might still be able to access them through Reader.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

You were spoilt enough when you were here Gaelyn. I had to leave something to temp you to come back to try next time. :) When these are in season, I but them by the boxful, they are are delicious.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

So many fruits have medicinal uses Tom. It is amazing that we do not harness and use this knowledge anymore.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I would think that they would grow quite well in Portugal Jose as it certainly gets warm enough.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

They do need a lot of warmth and sunshine Tony. I will check out your bees for you.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Wonderful to hear from you Tammy. I am sorry I am too busy to get around to anyone this past while. I am so busy with my projects and want to get them up and running as fast as what I can.

The flowers do not have much of a perfume but they are beautiful to see.

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

My mom had a guavadilla plant at her house and always made lekker dessert from it. Pity she moved and didn't take the plant.

Anonymous said...

Het 'n granadilla plantjie persent gekry net voor die winter. Ek het hom met 'frostnet' toegemaak, en hoop maar hy oorleef die minus temperature van die Vrystaat!

Rambling Woods said...

There is a lot of wisdom in Native peoples that we should pay attention to, but then where would the drug companies be....Michelle

Becky said...

Wow Joan, I have never read all this very interesting info before. I've never eaten them either, but am willing to try since I love fruit. Beautiful clear pictures.
B.

blog with no name said...

Hi Joan! That sure is one cool fruit! I would like to try all of the different ways of preparing the fruit and the flowers... Sounds like the all around health food...

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I agree Jonker, a pity she did not take it with her. One time I had a cross between a guava and a strawberry. There were very small and delicious.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Ek hoop ook so Ida. Ek sal nooit daar kon woon nie, want dit is te koud vir my.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I found a lovely book on medicinal plants yesterday Michelle but it was too expensive for me. What a pity as I would have loved to study it.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Being a fruit eater myself Becky, I think you would really love these.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

You are right about that Mike. Maybe they will be in season when you come and visit here. :)

myonlyphoto said...

Joan and now I know little more about the passion fruit. We get them in our local supermarket, but I am sure having traveled long distance, they may not be the same. Thanks for all the info and tips, I often buy drinks with passion fruit, very interesting and yet different taste. Thanks again for sharing, Anna :)

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

There is nothing which tastes quite the same as when you can pick them off fresh from the vine but I am sure those you get in the supermarket are good too Anna. They are one of my favorites.

Mary said...

Sounds like nothing I've ever had...would like to taste it!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I am sure you should be able to buy these in your shops Mary as they would grow in FLorida and California. You can also get the pupl and drinks as I have had it there but you call it passion fruit.

Unknown said...

Loris said
I grew up in New Zealand ,my Mum always grew passion fruit. I now llve in North Queensland Australia, they grow very well, often wild on roadsides. I was given a seedling of a granadilla, It grew well, had lots of flowers but only one fruit developed. I have since been told they need hand pollinating. How do I know when it is ripe? The fruit is very different from a passion fruit. 8 inches long, pale green, oval shape.It has the density and firmness of a green apple. This is a giant fruit when can I eat it, what can I do with it? If it is nice I will try hand pollinating. Any info appreciated

Unknown said...

Loris said
I grew up in New Zealand ,my Mum always grew passion fruit. I now llve in North Queensland Australia, they grow very well, often wild on roadsides. I was given a seedling of a granadilla, It grew well, had lots of flowers but only one fruit developed. I have since been told they need hand pollinating. How do I know when it is ripe? The fruit is very different from a passion fruit. 8 inches long, pale green, oval shape.It has the density and firmness of a green apple. This is a giant fruit when can I eat it, what can I do with it? If it is nice I will try hand pollinating. Any info appreciated

Unknown said...

Why does it drop green fruit is it too much water _we live in a very hot area) or could it be another reason please any assistance would let be appreciated

Carol Hartley said...

Like avos, they tend to drop fruit when it can ripen infrequently, and again, similarly to the avo, it may drop completely immature fruit. In the latter case, it is a self- thinning mechanism, but if too much ofthe crop drops, that is worrying, and I don't know why it would happen. They naturally come from some high rainfall zones, but if the drainage isn't good, they might get water-logged, which wd stress the plant.