For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sunday walk

One Sunday morning early I went again to the local dam. It was lush and green after the rains and a dream place for finding insects. Behind where this picture was taken, there is just wild bush which no one ever goes into except you know who. LOL!!
The first thing I would was this Robber Fly with very unusual color eyes but he was so tiny I could hardly see him properly and it was only after I got the pictures onto the computer that I noticed the midge he was eating.
Some the cacti were in full bloom and this one had a very pretty flower.
Once again I never noticed the two, what look like fruit flies with green eyes, mating on this small flower. It is only about ½ an inch in diameter so you can imagine what size the flies are.
Summer is mating season even for the Assassin bugs.
What I found notable about them was the thorn-like protrusion on their shoulders and wondered what they are for, if anything.
The Lantana makes a beautiful splash of color in the bush but the rain seems to have chased all the insects it usually attracts away.
This look like the egg sack of a mantis (ootheca).
It is hard to believe that something that looks like this is actually an insect but Scale lives on the surface of many plants and can be very destructive.
Amongst a bed of wild flowers I noticed this one. There were hundreds of ants on it and yet none on the surrounding flowers which was unusual.

No comments: