For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa: please click on the following links:
Insects and related species: Antlions - Ants - Bees - Beetles - Bugs - Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars - Centipedes and Millipedes - Cockroaches - Crickets - Dragonflies and Damselflies - Grasshoppers and Katydids - Mantis - Stick Insects - Ticks and Mites - Wasps - Woodlice
Plants, Trees, Flowers: (Note: Unless plants fall into a specific species such as Cacti, they have been classified by their flower colour to make them easier to find) Bonsai - Cacti, Succulents, Aloes, Euplorbia - Ferns and Cycads - Flowers - Fungi, Lichen and Moss - Grass - Trees
Animals, Birds, Reptiles etc.: Animals, Birds, Fish and Crabs - Frogs - Lizards - Scorpions - Snails and Slugs - Snakes - Spiders - Tortoise, Turtles and Terrapins - Whipscorpions
Other photography: Aeroplanes - Cars and Bikes - Travel - Sunrise - Water drops/falls - Sudwala and Sterkfontein Caves etc.

Videos: YouTube

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Tabanidae or Nemestrinidae?

Yeah, those names got your attention didn't they? LOL!! Mine too!! :) Sometimes I think it a good thing I did not study entomology as I would have tuned grey trying to remember these names one can hardly even pronounce. LOL!!

In trying to identify insects, I have been told that the only way to do so is under a microscope in some instances. Take a look at these pictures and you will see what I mean.
Off-hand, I would classify them all as different species of the same flies but I am pretty use they are not. Unless I misjudge them, the first two pictures are Needle-nose flies of the Tabanidae family and the last picture, a Tangle-veined fly of the Nemestrinidae family.
Needless to say they are ALL very difficult to get pictures of as they never seem to settle down for long and just as you creep up to them, off they go again. I think my mother should have named me Patience instead of Joan. LOL!!

No comments: