For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Leeufontein Part 1

One weekend I was asked to join a friend of mine in a private game reserve to go bug hunting and naturally I do not need to be asked twice.

The place is called Leeufontein which translates to Lions Fountain but it has been many, many years since a lion was actually seen there. We arrived just after sun up and found that there were miles of paths we could walk through.

On of the first things I found was this…..can you make out what it is?
Yes, a Stick Grasshopper disguising itself as a piece of grass. :)
This Scarab beetle was amazing…..
I have never seen one so shiny that I could see myself reflected in it.
One tree was covered with these caterpillars. There must have been a few hundred of them.
With so much rain, dams of water are everywhere and it does not take long before waterlilies start popping out.

No comments: