For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Corn Cricket (Hetrodes pupus)

Family Bradyporidae
  One of the main reasons for going to the Cape area was to find species different to those in the KNP area but unfortunately my timing was out and it being winter, there were not many bugs around but I am returning there for about 2 years as soon as I finish my scheduled stint here at Satara.
 This Corn Cricket was one of the few things around and I was very pleased to be able to add it to my collection of pictures for identification. A fearsome and splendid looking creature!
  It is a very large cricket with a body length of about 5cm and spines on the pronotum.

They are active at night and common to the region.

4 comments:

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

He's impressive. Would love to find one to photograph

Gaelyn said...

That's one scary looking cricket.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

With all your treaveling around Jonker I would have thought you has come across one already. They are very common in the Karoo. It was a nice find for me as we do not have them here in KNP.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Can you imagine if they were 6 feet in length and you came across one Gaelyn? I would run like hell!! LOL!!