For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Kite spiders

Isn’t this just typical!! I have been searching for a Kite spider for simply ages and could not find one, then here is goes, spinning a web right on my front porch!! J

I must admit though that I could easily have missed this one as the spider itself is only about 3mm at most and can hardly be seen and recognized with the naked eye. Thank goodness for macro lenses!!

Kite or Box spiders are solitary, web-bound spiders with the females being much larger than the males as with most spider species. They belong to the Araneidae family of orb-web spiders, sub-family Gasteracanthinae.

6 comments:

Diane said...

They look quite strange but I can understand why they are named. Diane

Mary said...

How did I get away from my regular visits to your amazing blog, Joan? I am delighted to be back and enjoyed this and many other recent posts. Your insect and other small creature photos are sensational! I also loved seeing the photos of animal babies. Thank you.

Gaelyn said...

That is one very unusual looking spider.

Andrea said...

Wonderful!!!
Never saw something like this...

Craig Glenn said...

Great shot my friend

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Thank you for your lovely comments everyone. Wish I had more time to spend on my blog. :(