For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Southern Foam Nest Frog (Chiromantis xerampelina)

Is it me? The kind of life I lead? Maybe just because I am weird? But it seems to me that every day there is something for me to smile about.


After today’s education program, I packed my things in the car and went back to my tent. On opening the back, I saw a whitish blob where there had not been one before and on closer inspection found it was a Southern Foam Nest Frog curled up and half asleep on a ledge in the back of my car.  (He is about 3” in length.)
 Grabbing my camera, I took some pictures of it then tried to get him into a bottle so I could let him go outside but he was not having any of that “moving” stuff, he was quite comfortable where he was thank you.
 It took a lot of persuasion to get him into it then when I tried to get him out, oh no, none of THAT!! There was no way he was going to move a SECOND time, was planning to stay right where he was no matter how much I shook that bottle!! LOL!!
Eventually he came out and off he went into the thicket. Freedom at last and no more of that pesky woman to disturb him!! I wonder if he thought “Goodness, what a fuss that woman made. All I wanted was to spend one night!!”

3 comments:

Diane said...

LOL. Those suckers on his feet look very strong which they obviously were. Have a good day Diane

Gaelyn said...

Gosh, if it only wanted to stay one night...

Gordon said...

Thats just amazing, and the detail, on its finger-pads, very good photos.
All the best Gordon.