For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Pilansberg Game Reserve - Part 3

Even a weed can be beautiful.
When it was time to leave and come back home, I found this bug in my car...maybe he wanted to go home with me, but I wasn't having no hitch hikers in my car. LOL!!
The elephants were have a dust bath in a dry dam. This helps them get rid of ticks and fleas.
There are many kinds of dung beetles and they come in various colors. Their eggs are in the centre of this ball and they roll it to a place and bury it using their hind legs. When the eggs hatch, they have food available to them.
I came across this female rhino with her young calf. I have never seen such a long horn before.
Springbuck are our national animal. They were first seen by the earlier settlers in this country and are plentiful in certain areas.
This little foal stuck close to his mothers side. When young, the stripes are more brown than black.
The wings on this beautiful butterfly are transparent.
The hippo were catching some sun on the banks of the dam. A few weeks later when I went back, the water was overflowing the wall at the back of the picture.
In the summer, butterflies come in all shades and patterns.

No comments: