For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Friday, October 23, 2009

An incrdible experience - Owlfly

I have been lucky to have some incredible (for me) experiences with insects since I have been photographing them.
One morning I got up at 3am to go and take some pictures of moths which were flying around a nearby outside light. The next thing I knew this newly hatched Owl fly landed on my finger.
Adults in this family are from medium to large size. They have the very long and clubbed antenna. When rest, their abdomen is extended above the stem that they are sitting on while their wings hanging downwards. Adults are predator, hunting insects in flight. Usually they are active during the day.
Owl-fly lays eggs on grass seed stem. Their eggs are hard and oval, laid in masses around twigs or grass-stalk, number in about 50 to 100.

No comments: